Sunday, February 19, 2012

How to Make a Fabulous Floor Pouf

A few months ago I saw these cute floor poufs from West Elm:


Unfortunately, they were not $250 cute.  Aww, I was so bummed out! 

So I decided to make one:


It cost me about $15 to make!  And the best part is, it was EASY.  If you can sew a straight line with a sewing machine, you can make one of these.  Trust me :)

I looked around for a basic tutorial to change around into my own.  I finally found the perfect one over at the blog Living with Punks. 

To make this, you'll need:
  • 1 yard of fabric
  • 2 yards of trim
  • 7'' - 9'' invisible zipper
  • bean bag beans (or 16 - 24 oz fiber fill)
First, make yourself a circle pattern for the 17'' pouf top.  I used the back of wrapping paper!  Since I didn't have a compass or anything circular to trace around, I tied a pen to a piece of string and swung it around. It's not perfect, but it worked quite well. 


I also cut out two rectangles that were 9'' x 28''.  You'll sew these two pieces together to form the side of the pouf (so together, they will be 9'' x 56'').  The original tutorial had you cut out pieces that were only 51.5'' in length total, and I found that that just wasn't long enough to reach around the whole 17'' circle.  (If you decide to make a bigger or smaller pouf, find the circumference of your new circle and then add on a few more inches to be safe.)


I found the fabric that I used at an apartment sale several months ago for $2.  Such a steal! 

Put the two side pieces together with the "good" sides together, and sew them together on the short side:


One you're done, you'll have one long side piece:


Then, take one of your two circle pieces and pin the side section that you just made, with the good sides together.


Sew the edges where you just pinned. 

Then, grab your other circle piece.  Pin your trim to it.



Then sew the trim around the edges so that it's attached to the piece that will become the top side of your pouf.  You can see where I sewed because I used white thread!


Then, take your top piece (complete with trim!), and pin it to bottom edge of the side piece. 


Sew along the edge where you just pinned.  When you're done, you'll have a pouf-like shape, although it will be a bit sad-looking because you haven't stuffed it yet.  There will still be an opening on the side where the two ends of your side piece meet.  Use the opening to turn it right-side out. 


Install the zipper in the opening that you have left.  Once you have it installed (and if you use an invisible zipper), it will look just like a seam, and you won't be able to even tell that it is there!  If you really don't want a zipper, you can probably skip this step, but I found it be useful when filling up my pouf (see the discussion below). 


Enter: my bag 'o beans.  I got this big bag for $16 at Kmart. 


OK, words cannot describe what a pain in the butt these are!  They float through the air like butterflies and static makes them stick to everythingggg.  I had the hubby help me pour them into the pouf shell, and he was just dying to squeeze the bag and fling them all over the place like the snow that he hasn't gotten this year ;)  *boys...* 

So there you have it!  It truly wasn't hard at all, if you were to leave out the trim and zipper, it would be even easier an cheaper if you left out the trim and zipper. 


And it's adorable!  I can't wait to make another one sometime soon.


To sum it all up, I used less than half of the bag, which means that the filling cost (at max), $8.  I used less than half of my $2 piece of fabric, and I used coupons to reduce the price of the zipper and the pom-pom trim. 

$8 - filling
$1 - fabric
$2 - zipper (with coupon)
$5 - trim (with coupon)
-------------
$16 total!

24 comments:

  1. ok! HOLY SMOKES! Love this! Think I'm gonna have to share it!! Almost wish I hadn't seen this because now I run the risk of having 16 million poufs around my house! : )

    Smiles!
    Sammy ~ Renew Redo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sammy! I'm in the process of making another one right now so that I have a matching pair, but who knows if I'll actually stop at 2! :)

      -Sara

      Delete
  2. Awesome!!!!!!!! I saw these on West Elm too and loved them! Haha You should sell them! So cute! I couldn't find any reasonably priced, except for on target.com!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I know, a floor pouf is just a glorified pillow, but they are all so darn expensive. It was soooo easy though, and that's coming from a girl with a very basic sewing ability ;)

      Delete
  3. i saw another tutorial like this and instead of going through the hassle of those beans, she stuffed hers with old clothes. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a great idea! I actually did see that too, but of course I had already finished my pouf. Go figure! But I am prepared for the next one that I make :)

      Delete
  4. Sara,
    I'm making these as a fundraiser for families who are adopting children. Do you like the beans over the polyester filling? I keep trying to keep the cost of materials low so more money goes to the adoption fund.
    Thanks for your info on the zippers.

    http://sewingforadoption.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Debbie! If you're going to skip the zipper on your poufs, I would probably use the fiber fill, as opposed to the bean bag beans. Those little buggers like to "float" everywhere and I think that it would be really hard to close up the pouf by hand AND keep the beans inside at the same time. Good luck!!

      -Sara

      Delete
  5. What size bag of bean bag filling did you use?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Michelle! The bag of beans that I used said "100 litres" on it. If you google "bag of beans" you'll find a bunch of different options. Here is an example: http://www.kmart.com/bean-bag-factory-bean-bag-chair-bags-of/p-021W012839450001P

      Delete
  6. Anonymous said...I love these, so cute... I just got my machine fixed, I will get some items together to make one with Emily, and Brandon

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have lots of old clothe`s to use as filling, but not feeling confident that it would feel or look as good in the finished poof.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, you could always start off filling the pouf with clothes, and then go buy filling later on if it doesn't feel like you want it to! If you add a zipper it would be super easy to switch out the filling whenever you want.

      Delete
  8. Ooh! Thank you for this tutorial. I love that Echino fabric - I LOVE their fabrics and am always eyeing them off at the fabric stores in Tokyo. Great bargain. And - I made one based on this tutorial and here it is:


    http://elseseven.blogspot.com.au/2013/02/poufjust-like-that.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks so much for this tutorial, Sara! I just finished my pouf yesterday and I love it so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome! Feel free to forward a picture along :)

      Delete
  10. Hey Sara! Thanks so much for this tutorial! Really wanted 2 side chairs and they are damm expensive after buying a house and big vacation! Saw these pouf in west elm was dying to have them but now can make my own at much less cost!

    ReplyDelete
  11. great job, Sara. i love the fabric as well. using the old clothes as fillers cuts costs too. Lucy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! They are super cute and comfy too :)

      Delete
  12. what about cleaning/ washing these poufs????

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would either spot wash them, or pull out the stuffing and wash the shells on a gentle cycle. I used a zipper on mine, so I don't think that it would be too hard.

      Delete
  13. Thanks! Super cute and way easy. I didn't have money to buy the filling so I recycled my millions of plastic shopping bags. It crinkles a little but it's actually pretty comfy!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This looks really great! Thanks for sharing. Found your blog via Google and I really love your articles.

    ReplyDelete